Sunday, September 10, 2006

An overcast day in Hyde Park

I've moved into my new apartment in Hyde Park. The move-in itself was pretty painless, though doubtlessly it was made easier because I brought no furniture from home. I've bought some used furniture here, but there's still a few more things that I need to pick up, chiefly among them a desk and desk chair.

ADSL service was included with the apartment, and I was very happy to see that the ADSL modem was already in the apartment when I did the walk-through and inspection. Later that day I plugged in my computer and had instant access.

The lease was interesting. It's old (I'm not sure how old), and it contains lots of outdated terms. The leasing agent just told me to ignore all of it. Out of curiosity, I read through part of it. On the first page it said:
  1. Leasees have to provide carpeting for 50% or more of all floor areas (the building is now carpeted, this requirement is from when it was tiled).
  2. Leasees are forbidden to paint walls.
  3. Leasees are forbidden to hang pictures.
  4. Leasees are forbidden to set up transmitter and antennas (say, for wireless internet access).
I asked about each of those and was told that the rule no longer applies. At that point I just gave up and signed the thing. Perhaps not the smartest move for a would-be lawyer.

Still getting myself up to speed on the building and the neighborhood. Need to acquire more furniture and finish unpacking. Much remains to be done.

No comments: